Behind Closed Doors

Hi it’s Louise here and today I have for you an altered Woodouts window

In preparation, I thickly applied crackle paste to the window and left overnight to dry naturally so as to produce the best cracks. I wanted to go with this paste to create an aged look.

The next day I began by addings some watered down Finnabair sparks paint in Raven over the cracks. This helped to darken and age the piece and add some shimmer.

To continue wth this aging process, I added Finnabair impasto paint in colour burlap

This is also a contrast to the first paint as is a matte, flat colour rather than the sparkle, shiny first paint.

For a little finishing touch to the surface, with my finger I added some Finnabair wax in old denim. I applied it very lightly and buffed onto the wood to make it shine more.

I chose a door paper from AB Studio’s Behind Closed Doors range. I drew roughly around the window and cut it out and added to the back of my frame using Fabrika Decoru 3D Gel

From the same AB Studio range and a few other or their sheets, I fussy cut lots of elements. I stuck these to the frame in a diagonal shape.  I added some chipboard to the back of some to create some dimension and layers. I also added a Tim Holtz baseboard doll.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Overnight again, I prepared some moulded pieces using Prima Marketing moulds and modeling material. Leave these to dry about 24 hrs. About 1hr into the drying you may wish to press the pieces down flat again as they slight shrink and curve as they dry

These were then coated with Prima Marketing black gesso and dried. Sparks paint in night shadow was lightly added. Then wax in heather hills to give a subtle shimmer to the moulded pieces.

I had some wonderful metal handles I picked up at a car boot sale. These looked great on the window so I added one to it using Prima heavy body gel

I added my moulded pieces along with a few metal piece. I glued these on with the Fabrika 3d gel.I also added the ‘behind closed door’ phrases from the AB Studio paper onto some foam dots. I went over the wording with  black liquid pen to help it stand out  a bit more.

I added as a finishing touch, some micro beads in copper using a soft gel medium.

I really love the finished look of this and this window just has so many possibility as do all the Woodouts pieces. I really recommend checking them out.

Here are some close ups