Steampunk Tag

Hi it’s Lou here. Today I fancied doing a favourite theme of mine, steampunk.

I began by adding a crackle effect to my Woodouts tag.

To do this, I began by coating the tag in a layer of white gesso. Next you add a layer of paint. This layer can be any type of acrylic paint. I choose a brown impasto paint.

Next is the crackle glaze. I used one from Fabrika Decoru. The thicker you apply it the wider and larger the crackle. Thinner will lead to smaller, finer crackle. Don’t put on too thick or it won’t dry properly. To allow for the most effective crackles, let it dry naturally.

Once this is dry, you now need to apply a 2nd coat of acrylic. This must not be metallic or it will not crackle and try to paint in one direction and not to keep going over the area so that it can work best or you will prevent the crackles. Aim for one swift brush stoke in one direction. Leave this to dry naturally until you have the desired crackles then you can finish the drying with a heat gun. I chose linen impasto paint for my 2nd layer to contrast the darker 1st coat.

Next I wanted to really work on the colours and make an interesting back ground. I built up different layers of paint using deco art media fluids in burnt umber and raw sienna, finnabair sparks in raven and fabrika decoru metallic paint in peach. 

I contrasted matte and metallic paints and light and dark colours to give a look of depth.

 

My tag was now ready for assembly. I fussy cut element from AB Studio Steampunk Love sheet. To match the colours better to my tag, I smushed some oxide inks in gathered twigs and forest moss onto my mat and applied to the die cuts with a baby wipe and dried them. I added to my tag at different height by using scraps of chipboard and Fabrika Decoru 3D gel 

I wanted to add a bit more texture and interest. I used the 3D gel again and sprinkled some micro beads around areas of the die cuts. The gel will dry clear so don’t worry if you can see parts of it still.

To finish, I always like to add a title or phrase to my work. I backed some prima word stickers onto some tim holtz paper. I left a wider border, cut them out and mounted onto foam an added to my tag.

And with that, my tag was complete. Here are some close ups.